Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Handwork: Starting Out Slow with Fleece

My kids have asked me to teach them to knit, and I've not been quite ready to tackle that level of coordinated fine-motor skills at their ages.  So I looked for another handwork project that was a bit more basic.  A couple years ago I saw an add for a darling tied, patchwork, fleece blanket kit. So of course my first thought was, “oh, that's cute and clever, I can make that kit.” After hours and hours of cutting and massive hand cramps, I finally finished prepping all the squares. I really should have just ordered the kit. . . but heaven forbid I should ever do things the easy way!
There are two major times a year that the kids work on handwork – when we watch the LDS Church's General Conference in April and in October. I watched my mom with her handwork, then gradually learned to do some myself and a kid, and now my kids have watched me and are itching to try some. I don't really think it matters what you start them out on, as long as you find a way to feed their creativity. This tied fleece blanket doesn't require fine-motor skills and for that reason was a good starter for us. It make take years to finish as we only pull it out bi-annually, but the seeds of a tradition are sown. I think we might move on to crochet next or some counted cross-stitch. I would like my kids to know how to crochet and knit regardless of whether they ever choose to apply those skills as an adult or not. I can't control what skills they choose to use or lose, but I can help determine what goes in to their domestic skills arsenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment