Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Monday, April 2, 2012

Homemaking Day: Laundry

I think we need another laundry homemaking day at my house. As I've been blogging, I realize all the gaps in my kid's domestic education. So, here's what we covered one morning during spring break. 
  • How to read the care label on clothing (How do decipher those enigmatic symbols that I hate!)
  • Great link for laundry symbols: http://www.textileaffairs.com/lguide.htm
  • Emptying lint traps: how, when and why
  • Fabric softener: how and when to use
  • Treating stains: bar of soap trick, using cold water & a soft toothbrush, lemon juice, vinegar etc.
  • Reinforce turning clothes right side out unless otherwise indicated on label
  • How to read the care label on clothing (How do decipher those enigmatic symbols that I hate!)
  • How to line dry or lay flat to dry a sweater
  • How to launder swimwear (never toss in the dryer)
This actually turned out to be more of a game than anything. They had fun finding clothes with symbols that they would then try to decipher. We also had a contest of finding the lint trap, quizzing on stain removal, etc. I had saved out a few clothing items with stains so they could practice treating stains a couple different ways. It took about 30 minutes, but they had fun and I think we actually learned something. (Implementing is another story . . .)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even know how to run the washing machine when I left the house. (My mother always went to the laundromat.) That may be why I am lenient in this department. Mind you, our clothes probably die a premature death. I shop accordingly and rarely buy anything that requires special care. :)

    ReplyDelete