Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cleaning: Go-to Chore List

I'm often in need of chores to assign my kids on the spot. Unfortunately, this most frequently happens as a result of some disobedience or behavior infraction, as penance in our family often requires some task completion. It also happens almost weekly as I am looking for Saturday chores for the kids. Odd that so much of teaching kids to work these days has to be contrived or invented chores. I suppose that is part of the price you pay for not living on a farm.

I've got a list of indoor and outdoor chores that I keep on my ipod to help jog my memory. These are jobs that range from preschooler to school-age ability. I'd love anyone else's suggestions of good chores for kids – we do tend to tire of the same old jobs.

Indoors:
  • Clean doorknobs and lightswitches
  • Clean phones, keyboards and remote controls
  • Clean dishwasher inside and out
  • Clean apron and legs of table
  • Clean chairs and barstools
  • Clean a door and door jamb
  • Dejunk bedroom
  • Empty, dust and replace bookshelf
  • Clean kitchen sink
  • Clean bathroom
  • Scrub bathtub
  • Clean outside of washer and dryer
  • Clean toaster
  • Clean fridge
  • Clean outside of stove and oven
  • Vacuum
  • Clean bathroom drawers
  • Stock bathrooms (meaning toilet paper rolls)
  • Clean piano and behind piano
  • Clean and fill salt and pepper shakers
  • Wipe out utensil drawer
  • Wipe out cabinet under kitchen sink
  • Organize food storage
  • Clean small appliances (mixer, blender, food processor)
  • Vacuum sofas and chairs
  • Clean railings and spindles
  • Clean desk drawer
  • Dust
  • Clean inside and outside of garbage can (small, indoor trash can)
  • Clean baseboards
  • Water houseplants
  • Clean and organize bathroom or linen closet
  • Clean basement

Outdoor:
  • Dead head
  • Weed
  • Rake Leaves
  • Water planters
  • Pooper scoop
  • Wash car
  • Clean car interior
  • Sweep garage
  • Sweep deck
  • Pick up branches or lawn debris
  • Sweep front walk and steps
  • Empty cat litter box

So what other ideas can you add to my list?

2 comments:

  1. LOVE your blog, Trish! Thank you for sharing your wisdom!
    Perhaps you could add wash windows (inside and/or outside) and window sills and de-cobweb high ceilings/entryways/etc. Your list is quite comprehensive, so I can't think of anything else. Now I just have to decide which jobs I can entrust to my 4 and 6 year-olds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Windows are a definite add-on. A friend of mine also suggested taking toothbrushes to the window tracks. My kids just LOVE that! :)

    ReplyDelete