Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Halloween Craftiness: Fabric Paint Masks

Another Pinterest experiment - here are my tips and tweaks.
So I printed out a mask outline, and set it on the counter.  Then I covered it with plastic wrap (which stuck nicely to the counter, but you can tape it down if need be).  I cut a 12x6 inch piece of fabric netting or tuile, and taped that over the plastic.  Then using a small squeeze bottle of puff, fabric paint, I started drawing over the lines of the pattern. 
When I finished, I removed the pattern from underneath to get a glimpse of what it would look like, then decided to add some little sparkly jewels.  I used a pair of tweezers and pushed them lightly into the puff paint. 
After drying overnight, I cut away the fabric and plastic wrap.  The plastic wrap sticks to the paint, so it is a permanent part of the mask.  Cut around the outside and the eye holes.  Then taking a sheer ribbon and needle and thread, I tacked the ribbon to the edges of the mask as ties.  You can easily push a needle and thread through the dried fabric paint, so it is quite easy to sew on the ties. 
I was pleasantly surprised with the finished product. 
Sort of a cross between a masquerade ball and dressing up as Zorro's sister.  :)  Guess my Halloween costume is done!



No comments:

Post a Comment