Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Partially-Paralyzed Pirate Lessons

 
So it has been an interesting few days as I'm learning how to live with half a face. Above all, I have to say that I am so blessed to be experiencing these lessons on a micro-scale as opposed to those that are so strong as they deal with paralysis on a grand scale. My admiration goes out to those people and those who are blessed to care for them. You are inspiration embodied. 

Gratitude lesson 1: Opposition
Contrary to the obvious opposition lesson of having sickness to appreciate health, the opposition I've learned to appreciate is that of physical restraint. 

The left side of my face is very tired lately as all my facial muscles have been allowed to contract without any restraint. Having an opposing set of muscles is not just aesthetically pleasing, but essential for any amount of comfort or normal muscle function. Laughing and smiling hurts since the left side of my face just contracts like nobody's business without the right side to pull back in opposition 

So I'm very grateful for the restraint of opposition that normally keeps healthy, good muscles in check and keeps them from over exertion. And yes- there is a deeper level of meaning in that analogy that God no doubt is trying to teach me. 

Stay tuned for more lessons from this partially-paralyzed pirate. 



No comments:

Post a Comment