Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Halloween Craftiness: Glitter Spiderwebs




I saw this on Pinterest and thought I'd give it a try.  Here's a few tricks I learned making mine.
I found the best place to do this craft was outside so my house didn't end up looking like Tinkerbell threw up fairy-dust all over.  I used some old school-lunch trays, but cookie sheets work well also.
All you need is waxed paper, tape, white craft/school glue, extra-fine glitter and tray or cookie sheet.  Tape to layers of waxed paper on the tray (front of back side - either way works fine).
Start making a giant asterisk with the glue.  Make sure that you make the lines of glue a generous thickness, because as it dries, those little glue lines get awfully fragile.  I ended up with 12 spokes as the "frame" for my web.
Then, in a circular motion, spiral the glue around the spokes, filling in the web.
Remember not to let the glue lines get too small or fine.  You can go back and add another strip of glue on the thin lines to beef them up a bit.
Then, shake the extra-fine glitter all over the spiderweb.  Extra-fine works better than regular glitter, since the coarser the glitter, the more brittle the end product ends up.
If your glitter coverage isn't very even, don't fret.  I learned a little trick that saved the day!  This is where doing it outside really comes in handy.  Holding the tray, glittered web up, over the grass or garbage can, lightly tap on the underside of the tray and tilt slightly.  As you do, the glitter will bounce around and land on the glue web.
This is what it looks like once you've glittered and tapped.  Let dry overnight (outside is fine if no rain is in the forecast).
Un-tape the waxed paper and then carefully peel the web off.
The spokes of the web are the sturdiest, so focus on peeling them first and the rest of the web will come.
Then this part is optional.  Since I wanted to keep them from leaving sparkly trails all over my house, I gave them a light spray with some clear polyurethane.
They work great as a Halloween doily.
But at my house, they'll be used as Halloween place-mats.
My daughter had lots of fun playing with the glue and glitter, and since we were outside, I didn't care how sparkly she made the deck!









No comments:

Post a Comment