Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Cooking: Iron Chef - Cousins Edition

My kids wanted to have an Iron Chef competition with their cousins this summer.  Any time they have an idea that is: 1. doable 2. creative and 3. teaches a skill, I try to let them go for it.  So one morning my sister and I got the kids together and each of us brought a secret ingredient.  My sister provided couscous and I provided root beer.  After unveiling the secret ingredients each team (boys vs girls) had one hour to prepare an appetizer, entree and dessert.  Each course had to include both secret ingredients.  The girls cooked in my sister's kitchen and the boys in mine.  We synchronized our timers and they were off.  Although both homes did smell a bit smoky for the rest of the day, the damage was not much more than a bunch of dishes to clean up.  And at the end of the hour - we reconvened at my parents home where a younger cousin judged.  After all prizes were awarded, all 9 of us sat down for a creative yet tasty lunch.
These two were serious competitors dressed for the occasion.

My son finished with time to spare.

The winning presentation: Couscous & tomato bruschetta with root beer vinaigrette, couscous & beef stroganoff salad, vanilla sundaes with root beer syrup and couscous-graham crumble topping.

The girls were a close second with: Couscous salad & crostini, root beer teriyaki chicken over mashed sweet potatoes and root beer ice cream with strawberry couscous and chocolate syrup.

The judge with his tasting duties.

Iron Chefs!

No comments:

Post a Comment