Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Partially-Paralyzed Pirate lessons: the blessing of duck-face??


Ok, this one sounds like a stretch, but bear with me. It has a lot more to it than the hokey-selfie-pose lips. Here is why I'm grateful for lip musculature:
1. Speech - consonants like p and b are particularly tricky if you can't seal your mouth shut. 
2. Brushing your teeth - you can't spit in the sink, nor can you hold water in your mouth to swish after brushing. 
3. Whistling - out of the question.
4. Drinking from cups - without making a seal around the cup it gets hard. Luckily I can wedge a straw into the left side of my mouth pretty well. 
5. Licking your fingers - doesn't work without some serious lip muscles that you never before considered. 
6. Avoidance of biting said lips - it becomes tricky to get the food in while keeping your lips out of the way of your teeth. 

Needless to say, to quote Larry the Cucumber, "I love my lips" but until now I didn't know just how much!  Another reason that reinforces my belief that we are divinely created. What a blessing to have such an expressive and multifunctional facial feature as a mouth - take care of it well and watch, what goes in as well as what comes out. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment