Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Friday, August 3, 2012

Mending: The Quest for the Perfect Fit

This summer my daughter and I finally came across some modest swimsuits that we liked, but the fit was just a bit off.  So we got creative with stretchy headbands and some sewing in order to alter them to fit.
This halter top didn't halter quite enough, so a headband looped through the neck strap at the back and sewn in the back of the suit provided an ideal fit and kept me from having halter-top-sore-neck syndrome.
This swimsuit was just a bit baggy at the top, so we sewed a small piece of pink, stretchy headband in a tube around the straps in the back.  Viola - perfect fit for my thin girl.
This last suit had the same problem - a bit loose up top around the chest and arm area.  So we simply unpicked the straps in the back, shortened them and drew them a little closer together.  The shorter straps and altered angle made for a good fit.
Did I have my daughter actually perform the alterations?  No, but I made sure I talked her through everything and showed her how we could creatively alter the swimwear.  Not all teaching has to be completely hands on (thank heavens!) but simply talking to her down by the sewing machine as I finished the alterations must be good for something.


No comments:

Post a Comment