Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Monday, August 6, 2012

Cooking: Using Pinterest to Your Advantage


Often I find myself spending the 5 minutes a day I allow for "pinterest time" in scanning new pins and repinning them to my boards.  However, I often fail to revisit those boards to say nothing of put the ideas or recipes into practice.  But Pinterest as well as other online, visual recipe sites offer real advantages when getting your kids to expand their cooking repertoire.  Friday night (my daughter's night to cook) rolled around and we had not filled out our monthly menu yet.  So instead of letting her make browned butter pasta for the millionth time, I suggested we get some ideas from Pinterest.  This helped kill two birds with one stone: she was excited to try something new (the visual element is what it's all about) and I finally could see if some of my pins were 'keepers'.  She chose 2 separate menu plans, had the family vote. 
As you can see, the breakfast-for-dinner menu won out.

We talked about the timing of the recipes and which to start first.  I have to say, the muffin cup omelets that were made to order according to individual tastes were a big hit.

Cooking the canned orange rolls in the waffle iron was a bit gimmicky, but fun for the kiddos.

So, next time you stress over finding what your kids want to cook, look no further  than your computer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment