Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sewing: Love is a Green Frog Pillow

While my sone was away at scout camp, I took the opportunity to help my daughter finish this summer's sewing project. Was it frustrating? Yes. Was there unpicking involved? Yes (repeatedly). Did it take about 3 times as long as it would have for me to make it alone? Yes. But was it worth the extra time, effort and stress to teach my daughter how to sew? Yes! 
Hopefully a few lessons in:
  • applique
  • sewing on fabric with nap
  • reading pattern instructions
  • not sewing faster than you can control the machine
  • and hand stitching with the ladder stitch 
Will she have forgotten a lot of it by the next sewing project? Probably, but little by little we'll be making sewing-skill progress and building confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment