Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Baking Day: Nana's Bread Recipe

So my boy requested that we have a baking day.  As my eyebrows raised in shock, he clarified by saying he wanted to "get it over with".  *grins*  Hey - whatever gets him baking!  He requested that we make my Mother's bread recipe.  It makes fabulous toast and the kids have gone through dozens of loaves during the school year when they head to her house for breakfast.  So, in the spirit of 'teaching them to bake vs. giving them slice of bread', we made 4 loaves today and stocked our freezer.  Hopefully this spares my Mom's supply a bit, and time will tell if the lesson serves to feed them for a lifetime!

Nana's Best-Toast-Ever Bread Recipe:
2 packages yeast
2 cups water
Dissolve in large mixing bowl
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
Add to yeast mixture.
9-10 cups flour
Mix in - I use a dough hook on my mixer, but you can build muscles using a wooden spoon.
Let raise 30-45 minutes, punch down.  Let raise again, knead, shape into 4 loaves and let raise 1-2 hours until doubled.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Cool, slice and toast or eat warm and fresh.  Yum!!!  Makes 4 loaves.




2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I will definitely have to try this recipe. And why not...have the kids help me make it!

    ReplyDelete