Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cleaning: My Top 5 Ways to Get Kids to Clean


The majority of the time there is weeping and wailing when it comes to this, but once we're into it, things usually settle down.  We battle this one all the time, but that is the key - you keep battling. When a job is easier to do yourself that is when you most need to exert the effort in getting your children to pitch in.  Here's my attempt at quelling the rebellion. 

Top 5 list in descending order:  

           5.  Give fair warning (a couple days ahead for big jobs). We also make it known that working  
                isn't optional in our family. Their choice involves their attitude, not their participation.
           4.  Funky cleaning tools of their invention or choice (striped, fuzzy socks for dusting, childhood 
                toothbrushes for scrubbing)   
           3.  Music – we crank up my kid's playlist they created especially for cleaning.   
           2.  Praise & reward their specific skill sets. You may call it bribery, I call it motivation. Work 
                first, play second. 
           1.  Work along side them.  It's more than your example, it is your cooperation that they crave.

2 comments:

  1. I love the playlist idea! I'm going to get my boys working on 1 for summer jobs now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog reminded me of many of the things you've posted: http://connectedfamilies.org/2012/05/17/the-key-to-avoiding-entitlement/

    I do okay it this area with my kids. They do a fair amount of cleaning and often cheerfully. When I take the time to do a job jar, the loooove it. No lie. (Job jar = lots of paper strips of simple jobs to be done mixed with a few fun things.)

    ReplyDelete