Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Friday, January 10, 2014

Cleaning: Eating the Elephant of Spring Cleaning

Spring cleaning is a daunting task and seems a bit overwhelming when contemplating deep cleaning the entire house.  So don't think of it that way!  Don't stress over "eating the whole elephant", but rather think of it in small, doable parts.  Starting in January, we (and by we, I mean I) like to start our spring cleaning, so that when spring really does come, we aren't trapped inside cleaning.  A room each Saturday is the goal, but with birthdays, basketball games and cold and flu season, it is hard get through every inch of an entire room every Saturday.  So during the week when I have a few minutes here or there, I start to chip away at some parts of the room.  For example: we'll be doing the master bedroom first this year, so this week I've started to attack some "trouble spots" in advance so that after an hour or two of cleaning, my kids can get on with other Saturday activities. 
I went through all my jewelry and repaired broken pieces, and thinned out unused earrings:

A lot to go through.
Using ice cube trays helps keep them organized.
Still ended up with more than I need (a tray for seasonal and kid-made, a tray for colorful and a tray for neutral/metallic)
They stack nicely next to my vintage jewelry boxes on a shelf in my closet.

I also went through some drawers in the master bathroom and did a clean-out/reorganize. 
I use ziploc bags to organize rarely used hair items by type, and then when they look ratty, I just replace them and it's new and tidy again! Also, the tic-tac containers are a great pinterest idea for storing bobby pins.  
That way today when I clean the house, I'll take another few minutes and finish up the walls, cabinets and baseboards and the master bath will be done.  Then tomorrow we'll be ready to attack the master bedroom.  Piece by piece is the way to not only eat an elephant, but in my opinion, the only way to spring clean a house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment