Cleaning / Laundry / Cooking & Baking / Canning / Gardening / Entertaining / Mending / Sewing / Gracious Civility / Organizing / Handwork / Beekeeping

Friday, September 28, 2012

Use Your Grandmother, or Borrow One

At a weekly religion class I was attending, I noticed that a woman there was embroidering some kitchen towels.  My Mom had done this in the past, but no longer had any patterns.  As it turned out, I came across some of this very fabric when my mother-in-law was cleaning out her parents' home and passed it on to me in the hopes that I'd make use of it.  This Swedish weave embroidery, also known as huck-towel embroidery is one of those rare glimpses into vintage trousseaus.  So as I showed my interest, this wonderful lady - who happens to be my neighbor's mother - offered to help me get started.  She was enthusisatic to share her skill and knowledge with one from a younger generation.  This happened to be a very easy handicraft to pick up (and you can buy the towels at any decent craft store) and I'm considering teaching my 9 year old daughter soon.  It works up quickly and provides good visual progress.  So, either tap into the resource of your living grandmother, or borrow one!  Most any older, experienced artisan is more than happy to share a bit of themselves by teaching the up-and-coming generation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment